PAM log info to console

I just tried to put together a very small linux installation using
redhat 5.2 and ran into a small problem.  Seems that login dumps its PAM
information to the console after logging in instead of syslog.

I'm probably missing a .so somewhere and I haven't seen anything like
this mentioned in the archives.  Anyone have any ideas?

Pat