use of passwd/shadow DBs?

Hi

this thread is on server-linux. I'm forwarding it here so any
of the pam gurus perhaps can comment it a bit. we also have
a large password file and the db option could let us NOT migrate
the user file to sql ;> with db, the next limit would be
upgrading UID/GIDs from uint to ulong ;> (perhaps it'll break quotas?
who knows)

Thanks, !3runo