Re: Apache mod_pam stuff...

> Kevin Sawyer wrote:
> 1 -- I'm trying to build a "members-only" www site using RedHat 5.0
> and Apache 1.2.5.  Everyone who has an account on this box needs to
> have authenticated-access to the web site, and I'd rather not maintain
> separate password files.  I've heard very little about a PAM module
> for Apache, but I know that the concept (in theory) is precisely what
> I'm looking for.  Can anyone here point me in the right direction as
> to how I might accomplish this?

Look at http://blank.pages.de/pam/ for the module. It includes some
documentation on how to install and use it. Please don´t hesitate to ask
me for more assistance.

Note that the module has been developed on RedHat 4.2, which includes a
different version of the PAM library than RedHat 5.0. I don´t know for
sure if this will cause problems, but someone on this list should know.

When I get my hands on a RedHat 5.0 system, I´ll test it out. When I get
bug reports, I´ll try earlier.

> 3 - Most of my billing and tech support databases live in mSQL.  I'd
> like to entertain the idea of my password files living there as well.
> Is there an mSQL application for PAM which will help me accomplish
> this?  Again, is there a reasonably good source for this type of
> information?

The company I work for tried to fit their billing and ticketing system
into mSQL, too, but it got to cumbersome. We took a clean approach and
converted the whole system into an LDAP based directory, which works
much better and integrates better with Apache, too. If you are
interested in that, remember that this list is only about PAM.

--Ingo Luetkebohle, CTO
dev/consulting Gesellschaft fuer Netzwerkentwicklung und -beratung mbH
url: http://www.devconsult.de/ - fon: 0521-1365800 - fax: 0521-1365803