Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:55:58 +0200 (EET)
From: "F. Kagan Guerkaynak" <kgf@ehb.itu.edu.tr>
To: redhat-devel-list@redhat.com
Subject: Problems with LILO and login

Hi,

Sorry if this is RTFM, I don't remeber anything specific discusiions on
this, and my connection is veeeeeery slow (haven't been through all the
archives yet:-( )

LILO 0.20 does not have have any_db, but the installation program adds
it (so does the QuickInst script of LILO-0.20). I could not figure out how
to boot from a secondary disk (with W95 for example)..

Login seems to be consuming very much CPU and Memory. I have a test bed
with 10000 users. Users who have passwd entries to the top of the
/etc/passwd are lucky :-) they can login, but on a low end pentium users
at the back of the list can not login, the process takes more than 60
seconds !!!

I have verified this on different systems, with all the patches and
upgrades installed. Problem first occured on a students server (with app
2000 users) that had been upgraded from 4.2 to 5.0. We need to have a few
K users, and need to accept 10-50 connections at a given time.. any
suggestions ? Is there something we are missing ?

Thanks a lot

KGF