Re: login problems

"Roel Hofkens" writes:
>Since a couple of days I can only log on to my RedHat 5 system as root.
>Logging in another user gives the error:
>
>su: cannot run /bin/bash: Permission denied

Wait, let me make sure I understand this correctly: you get that "su"
error when you try to log into your system, not when you try to su to
root as a user?

Do "rpm -V sh-utils" and see if it finds any problems (su is in sh-utils).

However, su should be called as part of the login process -- perhaps
someone has tried to (successfully, even?) break into your system...
Check files like /etc/profile and /etc/profile.d to see if any su
calls have been added.

michaelkjohnson

 Linux Application Development       http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad/