Login slowdown [was: Problems with LILO and login]

After a private discussion 2 points which together could
significantly speed things up was found.

The first point is to don't forget remove all mentions of NIS
from /etc/nsswitch.conf (and from /etc/pwdb.conf).

The second point is to use pam_unix_* PAM modules instead of pam_pwdb.so.
Traces show that the search in /etc/passwd done by pwdb consumes CPU very much.
I've got figures how much time pwdb spends in different places.
If somebody is interested I can mail the figures to him.

Regards,
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin

[Note: Please Cc: me followups in redhat-devel list]

> Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:55:58 +0200 (EET)
> From: "F. Kagan Guerkaynak" <kgf@ehb.itu.edu.tr>
> To: redhat-devel-list@redhat.com
> Subject: Problems with LILO and login