Re: The Open Group's PAM

>  Derrick (shadow@dementia.org) has been looking at the
>  incompatibilities between the Solaris and Linux implementations and
>  you can read more about his efforts here:
>  http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/pam.html

With the batch of patches Andrew integrated in 0.62, 0.63 and 0.64, these are
actually now quite small. The biggest problem now as far as I'm concerned is
inconsistent support of PAM in supposedly PAM-aware applications, and complete
lack of support in others, in the Solaris 2.6 PAM complement. Namely, the
dtlogin bugs and the complete lack of PAM support int he CDE equivalent of
xlock, mentioned on the above page.

>  members' is that we should be easy to port to from Solaris.  The level
>  of success that Derrick has had in his efforts are, however, all the
>  evidence of compatibility that I am aware of.

The level of success is quite high; In fact it is possible to write a module
which should compile strictly with the system PAM headers *or* those from
Linux-PAM, though with the complement of modules I maintain I have not bothered
to do so and instead require Linux PAM on Solaris (hence my work in that
direction).

-D