Re: External authentication, no entry in /etc/passwd: possible?

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Ingo Luetkebohle wrote:

> Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> > You would need a libc NSS module to support your RADIUS authentication.
> This sounds interesting. What is a "libc NSS module"?

A shared library listed in /etc/nsswitch.conf that glibc uses to get
information.  Most of us are probably using libnss_files.so by specifying
"files" on the passwd line, and a new module could be written to retrieve
the information from RADIUS and return it in a passwd struct.

The beauty of this solution is that any program on the system is instantly
able to use whichever database the module supports.  As far as I can tell,
this includes everything except pam_pwdb, which I believe re-implements
getpwnam().

Nalin