Re: Linux-PAM and syslog (POSIX) (fwd)

   Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:10:58 -0500 (EST)
   From: Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>

   > Also, it might be worth considering whether this interface has a general
   > applicability beyond pam, in the long term.  It would be very
   > interesting if we could get other free OS's, and professional Unix
   > systems for that matter, accepting the new API and integrating it into
   > their libc's.  :-)

I think Andrew is right that for an initial implementation it, we
definitely want to do pam_misc_openlog(), etc.  We don't want PAM to be
dependent on a Linux-specific hack to the libc's.

At the same time, there is a time and place for wanting a more general
interface to openlog, syslog, closelog.  Perhaps it's not as frequent as
wanting to open multiple dbm files, as in the DBM vs. NDBM analogy which
I tried to draw, but I think there are times when you want a library to
do an openlog().

Whether or not the PAM library is an example of such a library I will
admit is a deabateable point.  In some cases it might be very useful to
ahve the PAM log message go to its own, separate log file, for example.

						- Ted