Re: Linux-PAM and syslog (POSIX) (fwd)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
[...]
>Whether or not the PAM library is an example of such a library I will
>admit is a deabateable point.  In some cases it might be very useful to
>ahve the PAM log message go to its own, separate log file, for example.

Why?  You might just as easily argue that messages should go to different
log files according to the time of day, or according to the actual text
of the message.  Perhaps the problem is not with the syslog API, but with
the syslog implementation.  Perhaps we need a more sophisticaed syslogd.

I, for one, do not see why PAM modules need to log under their own
facilities.  I agree with whomever it was that suggested that they log
under the calling program's facility.

Another alternative would be to simply fork a process to provide PAM
services.  That process could then do whatever it wanted with syslog.

--
    Steve Coile
 scoile@patriot.net