Re: Linux-PAM and syslog (POSIX) (fwd)

"Steve \"Stevers!\" Coile" <scoile@patriot.net> writes:

> Another alternative would be to simply fork a process to provide PAM
> services.  That process could then do whatever it wanted with syslog.

  good god no, please.  This would be death to anything that needed to do
lots of pam services.  Our socks server can do authentication against PAM,
and for a server that needs to be able to handle hundreds of connections a
second, doing a fork() for every one would be murder.  That's why I use
threads. :)

  I think it makes perfect sense to use the applications syslog facility,
etc.  I think this would be _MORE_ useful than logging pam stuff under a
separate facility - this way you would be able to see that it was the 'ftp'
or 'socks' server

-Bill P.