Pluggable Non Interactive Authentication Modules

Hi,

I and my University colleagues have started a project named
`Pluggable Non Interactive Authentication Modules'.

We want to keep advantages of PAM and avoid its known weaknesses.
The new API is convenient for Internet servers (like FTP, POP etc)
and wouldn't require `conversation function hacks' so common for
servers with PAM support.  The second important point is that
authentication and the process of obtaining user's identity information are both
under modules' control.  The API allows applications to avoid
their own lookup in /etc/passwd for the supplementary information.
Thus we make the application protected against the inconsistency
of the data from the different sources.

The work is only at the beginning.
The brief description of PNIAM ideas is placed on
	http://www.msu.ru/pniam/pniam.html
Header files, module and application examples are in
	ftp://ftp.nc.orc.ru/pub/Linux/pniam/

Opinions, suggestions, and code contributions :-) are more than welcome.

Best wishes
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin