Re: PAM, When?

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

!2) an extension to PAM to obtain user information and group information,
!abstracted sufficiently so that you no longer have to store /etc/group or
!any other authentication information on local machines _at all_.

!oh, ok, that's a bit extreme (but it _should_ be possible): let me say
!that again: other than local accounts, it should be possible to seamlessly
!supplement users and groups on a local machine without having to add user
!and group information to the local security databases.

This should be the goal, IMHO.  I'd like to be able to use NDS for keeping
my userlists, and enable/disable access to resources through NDS.  Novell is
supposed to release a full-blown NDS implementation (Netware 5 compatible)
for Linux sometime.  It'd be great if it would work as a total
authentication/user information solution.

--
Shawn Barnhart swb@mercury.campbell-mithun.com