Re: PAM, When?

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 alanr@bell-labs.com wrote:

!You need 32-bit UIDs (which Linux doesn't really have yet), and you need not to
!conflict with local policies.  This particular set of decisions would conflict
!with proposed Lucent policies for managing the global uid/gid space.  Also, you
!need to map them into the correct UNIX uid.  For example, I need to have my
!files be owned by me regardless of whether I'm trying to access them from NT or
!UNIX.  So, my uid always has to be 800, regardless of where I come from.

Global management of UID/GID space -- now that's an ambitious administrative
proposal!

How do they propose to implement it?

--
Shawn Barnhart swb@mercury.campbell-mithun.com