Re: Novell Authentication and PPP

I'm dealing with this same issue, so I'll respond...

We run NIS on our Netware servers for some other purposes, so we're going
to wind up completely populating the passwd map.  Then it's a simple case
of using pam_nw_auth for authentication.

sethlist@pc126.psy.aau.dk said:
> It is clearly an advantage if the linux server could use the Netware
> database for authentication, because once a person is in the Novell
> system, then they could automatically have access to the PPP system,
> without having to create an entry in the linux password database.

> I can see there are two modules available that could potentially
> provide this service: pam_nw_auth and pam_ncp.

> It appears that pam_nw_auth will satisfy this requirement,  while
> pam_ncp requires an entry in the /etc/passwd. But maybe pam_nw_auth's
> "documentation" is wrong.

No, it's not wrong.  You're just interpreting it wrong.  Maybe it just
needs to be more clear.

> Now my questions.

> (1) Has anyone actually tried to do something like this, with either
> of these modules?  If so, any tips, gotchas, problems to be aware of?

One difference is that pam_ncp wants a '*' in the encrypted password
field, while pam_nw_auth doesn't care what's in there.  Also note that
pam_nw_auth wants the ncpfs source to build, so when NDS integration is
done there, so will it be in pam_nw_auth.  I assume you'd have to do some
work to reintegrate changes into pam_ncp.