Re: Novell Authentication and PPP

On 28 Oct 98, at 3:19, Seth Chaiklin wrote:

> I can see there are two modules available that could
> potentially provide this service: pam_nw_auth and pam_ncp.
>
> It appears that pam_nw_auth will satisfy this requirement,
> while pam_ncp requires an entry in the /etc/passwd.
> But maybe pam_nw_auth's "documentation" is wrong.

You have to have an entry in /etc/passwd for pam_nw_auth

> Now my questions.
>
> (1) Has anyone actually tried to do something like this,
> with either of these modules?  If so, any tips, gotchas,
> problems to be aware of?

I tried both of these modules in a test environment. pam_ncp did
not work for ppp because of a fork somewhere in the code. It has
been some time ago, but I don't believe pam_ncp was being
actively developed at the time. So I took a look at pam_nw_auth. It
originally had the same problem, but Dave fixed it in the 0.4
version, so it worked fine for ppp.

The problem I had with pam_nw_auth may have been fixed in the
latest version (0.5)--I never got around to following up on it. My
problem was it only checked one server. I had user accounts on
several servers, and wanted it to check each one.

The other issue with pam_nw_auth is bindery vs. NDS mode. There
was one report on this list that when linked against the latest
libncp, it would work in NDS mode. I haven't tried that, but the
message follows.

Bottom line, I think pam_nw_auth would be your best bet. If you
only have one 4.1 server, and it is doing bindery emulation, then
you should have no problems at all.

Good luck,
Doug