Re: PAM, When?

>> Sorry I can't.  It's poorly documented, and behind a firewall.
>> The general idea is that people WILL EVENTUALLY get assigned uids
>> from a single corporate database that you could think of as an
>> LDAP server.  In fact, most of the data in this database is
>> mirrored onto an LDAP server.  This hasn't all been done yet.
>> It'll be complicated and take the company years to get to (in my
>> opinion).  Nevertheless, it's a generally Good Idea.

	nix the "single *corporate*" concept out of that and you
	might have something.

	I was thinking about 64-bit UID's the other day and
	(while I was tying my shoes) did a quick mental calculation.

	Clearly with a world-wide population hovering at over
	5 billion we can't issue globally unique 32-bit UID's.
	We also have to assume that there will continue to be
	a need for a large number of UID's for "psuedo-users"
	(system and other "roles" rather than specific individual
	people).  Given today's technology it's also clear that
	the "next step" from 32-bits is 64 (it involves one extra
	"fetch" on a 32-bit processor, and none on the newer 64-bit
	processors --- and these are the dominant types of
	processors in general purpose computing platforms).

	If you tool the entire surface of the earth and divided
	into building/room sized chunks (roughly 10x10') and
	you issued a 32-bit prefix to each one, you could issue
	a unique number every second in every square/grid space
	on the whole globe for about 120 years.

--
Jim Dennis  (800) 938-4078		consulting@starshine.org
Proprietor, Starshine Technical Services:  http://www.starshine.org