Broken PAM source?

I coded the routines for my little pam module project.  I'm set out
to compile up the source to pam before I start encorporating my stuf.

I extracted the source from the pam-0.64-3 rpm, then extracted the
tarball.  (I'm running this version of pam).

Chacked through the defaults.defs file and all is OK.

Went to compile and...  odd, every time I type make, it compiles one more
file in the modules directory, then quits with errors.  Never seen this
before.  Nothing revealing in the Makefile that I can make out.

Anyone run into this before?

The example below gets through the pam_lastlog.o, but if I type "make"
again, it'll get past that to the next file.  It's generating the object
files every time.  I'm no real wiz with gcc.

The references to i386 etc. don't seem to be fatal, so I'm not sure that
has anything to do with the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

A tail of the error messages looks like this:

gcc  -pipe -g -DLINUX_PAM  -ansi -D_POSIX_SOURCE -Wall -Wwrite-strings
-Wpointer
-arith -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wtraditional -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prot
otypes -Wnested-externs -Winline -Wshadow -pedantic
-I/usr/home/thos/security/pa
m/Linux-PAM-0.64/include -fPIC -Dlinux -Di386 i586 i486 i386 noarch
-DPAM_DYNAMI
C   -c pam_lastlog.c -o dynamic/pam_lastlog.o
gcc: i586: No such file or directory
gcc: i486: No such file or directory
gcc: i386: No such file or directory
gcc: noarch: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [dynamic/pam_lastlog.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/home/thos/security/pam/Linux-PAM-0.64/modules/p
am_lastlog'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/home/thos/security/pam/Linux-PAM-0.64/modules'

Red Hat Linux!   Where I really went today!
Please send personal replies to:
                         thos@jeeves.seaslug.org