Re: Filter to AND with uid=%s

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 01:32:26PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> It's somewhat worrying that nss_ldap is returning the user's password as part
> of the passwd struct.  This suggests to me that there is at least a possible
> insecurity with nss_ldap: what happens if a non-privileged user calls
> getpwnam() for some other user's account (or root's!) that's stored in LDAP?
> Perhaps the authors of nss_ldap had a reason for allowing the password to be
> returned, but I can't imagine what that would be.

Hiding the information when it's in LDAP so that nss_ldap doesn't see it
all by default requires configuring access controls which aren't there
by default.  There's a good paper about doing this on HP-UX at
'http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/internet/ldap_integration.pdf'. (Even
though it's an HP-UX paper, the parts which cover the server-side issues
are applicable to just about any directory.)

Cheers,

Nalin