newbie question

Hello,

I am trying to get pam_ldap and nss_ldap working on my Redhat 7.1 system.
From what I can tell I have done what is required, but obviously I am
unclear on what that is since it only sort of works. I would apreciate any suggestions.

Here is what I have done so far:

 * Set up group and user entries in OpenLDAP
 * Run authconfig.  This looks to be a Redhat utility that set entries
   in /etc/pam.d/system-auth.
 * I also manually made entries in /etc/pam.d/ftp and /etc/pam.d/sshd.
   These entries were made before I new about authconfig.

What I see is that I can connect using ftp, but it doesn't really know who I am. I am left at the root. Anonymous FTP is off and if I give a bad password the ftp login fails. If I remove the manual entries from the FTP file it doesn't work a all. Also, when I watch the OpenLDAP log I never see a query for any group or user information. So, this looks like I am missing the trick to turn on nss_ldap. This really is confirmed when I do a getent passwd and just see the password file.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bill