dlerror when loading library

Hi,
I have a problem with linking the pam with an external library.
 The problem is
   I am linking the pam with libhlgpl.so.1 as following
   gcc -shared -Xlinker -x -o pam_stack.so dynamic/pam_stack.so
   -lhlgpl

  Everything works fine.

  The problem happens at runtime. When pam_stack get called, it try to load
  pam_stack and it fails with error message

"
    PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_stack.so proftpd[11470] Feb
28 12:57:27
    PAM [dlerror: libhlgpl.so: cannot load shared object file: No such file
or directory] proftpd[11470] Feb 28 12:57:27
    PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_stack.so)
"

Anyone have any idea why this happens? and how to link the pam with external
library?

Thank alot
 Luyen Tran