re: Ctrl-M in my system-auth file?

Thank you gentleman with the assistance, however there were no ^M control M's in the file even though the logs were complaining.  I replaced the file for a 5th time with authconfig and all appears to be fine now except for the ldap issue I just posted.

Epson Inkjet Printer FAQ: http://welcome.to/epson-inkjet