Newbie question, creating new account and password

Title: Newbie question, creating new account and password

Is it possible to use PAM to create a new account? In my review of the list and available documentation I can't find the methods to create a new account programmatically. Plenty of information on changing account information but I need to create new linux accounts under program control.

Thanks in advance for your help.