how to make pam_chauthtok() behave as if it is being run by root

I am programming an CGI application run by Apache webserver to change system users' password. The program works fine if it is run by root at console. But if it is run by other users like apache it will give a "authentication token manipulation error" which is resulted from PAM 's pickiness about simple password if run as an ordinary user. Is it possible to make pam_chauthtok() behave as if it is being run by root?
I have root setuid the program and I don't want to run Apache itself as root.

Thanks

Daniel Qian