verifying a username AND password...?

I'm developing a GTK application and need to authorise the user at
application startup.  I have a GTK window that gets both username and
password.  All the code i've seen with linux-pam has pam deal with
asking for the password, so how can I provide the password to PAM and
have it authenticate the user given all the information at once rather
than ask for anything?

Regards,

John Breen