pam_limits maxlogins count -Out by one

Hi,

I am new to this List, please forgive me if this subject has been discussed more than once!!

Two q's from me:
1)
pam_limits module appears to be out by one for certain authentication methods -- In particular ssh -- Example, if I set maxlogins for a user of 1, the user is allowed 2 logins, the third fails. If I set maxlogins 0, no logins allowed. I assume someone is aware of it??

2)
I have been playing with a pam_iptables module for PAM see http://www.itlab.musc.edu/~nathan/authentication_gateway/(Not part of the main PAM tree).

In playing with this module it occured to me that what the pam_iptables is much like is a generic "execute something when some pam authentication takes place" type of module. ie a pam_generic_execv that reads a config file list of programs to execute when a PAM authentication takes place. Is there such a module already ? If not would it be usefull, safe, or just superfluous?

Cheers,
Michael