retrieving failed usernames from a module? possible?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Sep 28 23:54:29 UTC 2005

Dan Hollis wrote:
> Is it possible for a module to retrieve the attempted username in a
> failed login if the user does not exist on the machine?
>
> The module pam_abl[1] can only show NOUSER[2] when a login failure
> occurs with an invalid username.
[...]
> I'd like to know what actual username was attempted, instead of "NOUSER".
>
> Is it possible or would this need to be a modification to PAM?

What app is that?  My guess is OpenSSH's sshd, which used to supply
"NOUSER" to PAM if the user didn't exist.

If so, you just need a newer sshd (the behaviour in question changed a
couple of years ago, between 3.6.1p2 and 3.7p1) or a patch for whatever
version you're using.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.