pam_unix_auth or pam_unix

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Tue Jan 24 11:17:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, Praveen Kumar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am experimenting an aplication to use pam for its authentication and
> was able to succesfully implement the support for PAM. Now,i am slightly
> confused by seeing different pam authentication modules. which one is
> most preferred pam module for authentication, pam_unix_auth or
> pam_unix2. Are there any differences between pam_unix_auth and
> pam_unix2. I came to know that pam_unix_auth can not support blowfish
> encryption for password. I could not find propoer information realted to
> this. Is pam_unix2 is the later version of pam_unix_auth? Any
> information in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

pam_unix/pam_unix_* was developed in parallel to pam_unix2.

There are some differences (like pam_unix2 supports blowfish if
compiled with support for it and does not call external helper
applications), but the difference is very small today.

  Thorsten

Thorsten Kukuk         http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/      kukuk at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH       Maxfeldstr. 5       D-90409 Nuernberg