help! pam.d and pam_tally setting mess up xscreensaver login!!!!

How come if I uncomment pam_tally line in common-auth file below (Debian
box) I cannot unlock the screensaver with a password anymore?

::::::::::::::
common-account
::::::::::::::
account required        pam_tally.so
account sufficient      pam_unix.so

::::::::::::::
common-auth
::::::::::::::
auth    required        pam_env.so
#auth   required        pam_tally.so deny=5 unlock_time=900 onerr=fail
auth    sufficient      pam_unix.so
auth    required        pam_deny.so

common-password
password required       pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=12 difok=4
password sufficient     pam_unix.so     md5
password required       pam_deny.so

chris