Re: Cannot login as non-root user

On 1/11/07, Kevin Williams <kevkim55 gmail com> wrote:
Thanks for the response.

> Is your uid actually 0?

I don't understand ! The non-root user account's uid is 1000 and so is
gid. /home/kevin is owned by kevin:kevin with uid:gid of 1000:1000 as is
in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

He wants to know if the uid for root in /etc/passwd is 0.

/etc/passwd should have a line it in that looks something like this.

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

If the 0 is something else then your user account named root isn't
actually root, it's just a regular user account. I believe that the
exception to this is if you installed SELinux. That would make it
possible to lock down even your uid 0 root account, If I understand
SELinux correctly.

JSR/

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen