Checking if PAM is used by login

Kenneth Geisshirt kenneth at geisshirt.dk
Tue Jun 26 12:22:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, June 26, 2007 14:11, David Resnick wrote:

> Though I am hoping for something more definitive (in case, for example,
> the
> logged activity is old and PAM has since been disabled).

I don't follow you. PAM is not a service but a library (with plugins in
the form of shared objects - .so files). You don't simply disable PAM.
Take the /bin/login program - it is used for login at the console. Try to
run ldd /bin/login and see that this program is linked with libpam.so.
Then check /etc/pam.d/login to see how login is using PAM.

/kneth