Advice regarding best practices (was: how to get 'auth' result?)

Hello,

I have just encountered a situation where I have the same question
as Dan (subject: how to get 'auth' result?, dated May 13th).

I'm working on (yet another) OTP-style module, and would like to be
able to mark the current token as having been "used" after a
successful authentication.  I am looking for some guidance as to the
"best practices" for a PAM module.  Would the pam_sm_setcred()
function be the appropriate place for this?  One could theoretically
use the pam_sm_open_session() function, yet that doesn't seem to be
as clean, since it blurs the distinction between the auth stack, and
the session stack.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations.

Hannes.