Debug pam

Title: Debug pam

Hello:
        I have a system running RH EL 5.2 and when I try to ftp to it and give a valid login and password, there is a delay after entering the password and then it says login incorrect. The system is running vsftpd.

Here is the contents of /etc/pam.d/vsftpd

#%PAM-1.0
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
auth       required     pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=/etc/vsftpd/ftpusers >
auth       required     pam_shells.so
auth       include      system-auth
account    include      system-auth
session    include      system-auth
session    required     pam_loginuid.so

My question is how can I tell which part of PAM has decide the password is incorrect?

I tried putting the login name in /etc/vsftpd/ftpusers and I get a message about permission denied for the user, which is what I would expect. So I know when the name is not in the file I am getting passed that check.

Thanks:
Jack Allen