authconfig (2nd sending)

I would like to know more about 'authconfig' and what it does and why, how, etc...

I've been developing some configs, interacting with PAM, such as in 'system-auth', etc...

The blanket statement in that config file is that when authconfig is run it will overwrite

the manually updated contents.  So, how can I go about keeping my changes in

that file more permanently?  Seems I need to better understand authconfig, and think

I'm looking for more than the man/info pages (and the latest v1.0.1 PAM docs) say.

Would anyone have more information and/or documentation beyond the man page,

and the PAM docs?

Thank you very much.

R,
-Joe Wulf, CISSP, USN(RET)