pam_unix, pam_putenv() and pam_getenv()

After a bit of researching I would like to clarify that utilizing the
pam_putenv() function would allow me to pass a UID/GID pair to the
pam_unix authentication module as long as the pam_unix module utilizes
the pam_getenv() function to recognize a valid UID/GID pair vs utilizing
the getpwnam() function.

Please forgive me if this is off topic for this list.
--
Jas

"Tomorrow isn't promised so we live for today"