Set new UID/GID

Martin inkubus at interalpha.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 21:43:56 UTC 2010

<snip>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I want to write a PAM module that authenticates SSH users without
> > using /etc/passwd. For granting a GID I found the “pam_group”
> > module.
> >
> > There is any available PAM module that allows setting a specific UID
> > not listed in /etc/passwd?

There are two seperate tasks here, the first is authentication and the
second is user information.  With the (very) old password system they
used to be the same thing, however they are now (rightly) separate.  PAM
deals with the authentication part, NSS deals with user information such
as UID, etc.

What are you trying to acheive?  It may be that LDAP will do what you
want.

Cheers,
 - Martin