[Platformone] EXT :Re: [EXT] Platform1 SAR

Kevin O'Donnell kodonnel at redhat.com
Sat Dec 21 01:45:28 UTC 2019

Hello Eric,

To be honest, if we have anyone authenticating to the systems in any way we
are not following our IAC standards. This current VPC is a snowflake and it
was treated as one. Things were manually done and configurations were
changed. And yes that should be tracked by specific users. The current IDM
users should be the users that are used for authentication in the snowflake
situations.

If we continue to auth to these vpc's and make one-off modification we will
continue to have the issues that we do today. If we capture the issues and
or features and get them prioritized and developed as code the user issue
will become a mute point.

We also have an issue in git to automate the scans and to have the
artifacts shipped to S3 for review. Once this is in place we will no longer
need to make the modification and allow SSH or port 22 access into the
systems.

I would argue that opening the system for security scanning is our
biggest security risk currently.

Let's take these next couple of weeks and really lock down the system. If
we work together and outline the correct requirements and get them
implemented as code we will all sleep better at night. Oh and it will make
cybercom happy.

The next major task will be to leverage IAC to build a more secure VPC with
our current code base that currently addresses some of the concerns and
move the apps into that VPC. We will continue this pattern as we evolve the
IAC and the process. i.e. let's build the feedback loop and continue to
develop.

Thanks,

KEVIN O'DONNELL

ARCHITECT MANAGER