[publican-list] Organizing by Subject (guide) on Publican's web output

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Wed Jun 16 00:40:12 UTC 2010

On 06/16/2010 10:16 AM, Eric "Sparks" Christensen wrote:
> It would be nice if there were sub-pages for each guide that allowed you
> to choose the version (release).  That way if I tell someone they should
> go read the Security Guide I'm not referring the person to the main home
> page for them to navigate.

If I'm reading this right (and in light of our previous IRC discussion),
this would be a page for each title in the documentation suite, for example:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/Security_Guide

that would link just the versions of the Security_Guide (in all
languages? or one page for each language?)

probably along the lines of the existing "Map" page that Publican generates

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/toc.html

> I think it could be done fairly easily but not in the current file path
> structure.

I can see the usefulness of this when pointing people to a title and
then allowing them to choose the relevant version and language for
themselves. The directory structure is no obstacle here, as far as I can
see; this isn't a problem for the Map page. The "per-title Map" would
also be sitting in a directory above the docs themselves (whether in the
web root, or in each language subdirectory).

The current Map page gets regenerated every time a document is added to
the site; a per-title map could do the same.

Cheers

Rudi