[publican-list] Win32 Installer Woes

Jeremy Cowgar jeremy at cowgar.com
Thu Mar 18 23:00:31 UTC 2010

Hello,

Publican was recommended to me in the #docbook IRC channel today, so I
gave it a try. I was having Internet connectivity issues this morning
and during the installation, when it went to download the DTD.zip file,
the installer reported that the connection timed out the quit. I simply
waiting until later in the day once my connectivity issues were fixed.

When I went to run the installer again, it said it was installed already
and that it would have to be removed. That worked fine. The installation
this time around went fine.

Now, I began using it and all worked fine. I then went to generate a PDF
file using publican and got an error that "cmd.exe" couldn't be
launched, so the PDF creation failed. I wasn't quite sure what that
problem could have been, so I went on to other things. As I was working
in the console I realized that a lot of my programs were not working,
SVN, Fossil, Gcc, all MinGW utilities, Ant, etc... All of them were
command not found!

So, I went to check my path. Low an behold, the *only* thing in my path
was a few directories under the new publican installation! I began
fixing my path (can't remember everything that was in it, but it
probably needed purged anyway, so no big deal). Anyway, once I fixed my
path and added quite a few directories back into it (including
C:\Windows\System32) publican could then execute cmd.exe just fine and
all is working fine.

But... that install bug is a doosy! Your path is not something you
"backup" frequently. I could see how that could be extremely frustrating
for some who install publican.

I was asked on #docbook to report this problem to the mailing list, so
there it is. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, hey... It sure was
nice having everything installed for docbook with one installer! Thanks!

Jeremy Cowgar