[publican-list] Possible alternative to FOP!

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Fri Aug 26 17:40:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 2:29 AM, Jeff Fearn <jfearn at redhat.com> wrote:
> Here is a PDF with prettier footers!
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~jfearn/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-6-Installation_Guide-en-US-TEST.pdf
>
> Thanks to Ryal Lerch for investigating how to do this, still needs some
> tweaks, but we have a pretty good handle on how to customise page footers
> and headers now!

I have to admit -- I'm one of those people who was somewhat hesitant
to move off of FOP, mostly because of the time and effort I've
personally put into trying to make FOP work well.  I was not looking
forward to loosing functionality such as footnotes either, but looking
at your test PDF, it looks like that problem has been solved.
Assuming we can get widows and orphans taken care of, I'm happy with
the new solution.  (It might be worth still leaving in the option to
use FOP as the back-end if the user would rather use it, at least in
the short term.)

--
Jared Smith