[publican-list] RFC: XSLT Enhancements for <task>

Jared Morgan jmorgan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 2 01:17:31 UTC 2011

Up until now, I've been using <procedure> with <para> tags containing an overview of the procedure, and any prerequisites the reader needs to complete before continuing.

A colleague recently told me that there was a <task> element that provides better structure for procedure metadata (see Task_RFC_Structure).

I've tried it out, and it works pretty well in publican now (see Task_RFC_Output_Current, tested on the Publican-JBoss brand).

To bring it in line with how Procedures, Figures, and Tables are formatted, I propose the following enhancements:

* Prefix the task title with "Task cc.n" (where "cc" is the chapter number the procedure is contained in, and "n" is the number of the task).
* If <tasksummary> is used, auto-generate a "Summary" title, unless the <title> tag is explicitly used.
* If <taskprerequisites> is used, auto-generate a "Prerequisites" title, unless the <title> tag is explicitly used.

Task_RFC_Output_Desired shows an example of how this would look (minus the Indent and solid line).

Thoughts?

Jared Morgan
Content Author
Red Hat Asia Pacific