[publican-list] Publican 3.0 -- with DocBook 5 or without?

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 09:52:36 UTC 2011

On 06/28/2011 05:21 PM, Joshua Wulf wrote:
> If it's six months between releases then it seems we eat the switch now or in another six months. Is there any benefit in waiting, or is it just postponing the inevitable?

IMHO it's just delaying the inevitable, but it will delay P3 and cause
extra work for writers & translators.

I'm pretty sure we can get most books converted from DB4 to DB5 by
modifying old2new to use the supplied db4-upgrade.xsl. However there
will be misses that require writer intervention and there will be an as
yet unmeasured affect on translations.

Another consideration is FOP 1.0 which has many changes from FOP 0.95
and applying the fixes required for that to our existing DB4 mods is an
unknown quantity of work that will have no application on the DB5 XSL.

Cheers, Jeff.