[publican-list] sortable lists, esp. glossaries

Fred Dalrymple fdalrymple at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 14:33:50 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> On 01/31/2012 12:16 AM, Fred Dalrymple wrote:
> > Thanks for the pointer (I didn't look far enough back in the
> > archives).
> >
> > In general, if there is no automated programmatic solution, then
> > I'd probably introduce an external file that would point at
> > entries that didn't follow the programmatic default and provide
> > either a clue or explicit sorting key -- think RDF resources
> > (though I'm partial to Topic Maps).

> Requiring 1 writer to order their list is a bit spendthrift,
> requiring
> 50 translators to order them just blew your budget. Doing it manually
> just does not scale.

Hi Jeff --

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. It would be a hybrid solution, where the default would be automatic translation. The external annotations would only over-ride those cases that didn't sort correctly via the automated solution. I'm all for going as far as possible with automation, but if there are cases that are non-deterministic (as Peter demonstrated), then this approach requires the least effort from writers -- unless one gives up on the entire project :).

Yes, DocBook has anticipated some cases, but the approach I'm thinking of (1) potentially works across any elements (including those that aren't lists), and (2) doesn't require "intrusive" markup of the original source. An external file is cleaner, and allows multiple annotation sets for different uses. That's not to say that I'm committed to implementing the complete set of features and flexibility in the prototype, just showing a viable solution for glossary entries.

Fred