[publican-list] Publican 3.0.0 is here at last!

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 03:17:56 UTC 2012

Folks, after a protracted and complex development journey, Publican
3.0.0 is here at last!

We're very excited about this release for a number of reasons:

* the documentation websites that Publican creates are completely
redesigned. We think they look a lot better now, and are certainly more
scalable. You can see a demo at: http://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/ [1]

* support for a per-user configuration file where you can set options
you commonly use, such as language and formats for builds, and your name
and email address to use in conjunction with...

* the new "add_revision" command, that takes the manual work out of
maintaining document revision histories

* independent revision histories for document translations, so that the
history of a translation can be captured accurately for the first time

* brands that consolidate their stock images and CSS in a central
location on web servers, to reduce redundant files and make it easy to
update the look of a brand without rebuilding all the books on the site.
Brands can also now be designed as variants on other brands, not just
variants on the publican default brand

* PDF styles now optimised for wkhtmltopdf, completing the replacement
of FOP as our PDF mechanism. This gives us truly international PDF
support for the first time, including support for Indic languages and
right-to-left languages

* Drupal support: export books ready for your Drupal instance to consume

The full set of changes is described in the Release Notes here:
http://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/en-US/Publican/3.0/html/Release_Notes/index.html

You can find the source tarball, RPM spec file, and SRPM at
https://fedorahosted.org/releases/p/u/publican/ Expect to see Publican
3.0.0 in Fedora and other Linux distributions in the near future. We
also hope to have a new build for Windows available within a week.

Special thanks this time to the Red Hat writers and translators who
provided invaluable QE testing quite literally outside their day jobs;
and, as always, thanks to our tireless band of translators!

Cheers
Rudi

[1] However, if you have an existing Publican website and don't want to
update your styles, Publican 3.0.0 can produce sites
backwards-compatible with Publican 2 styles