[publican-list] Some help with Publican failures

Mark Miesfeld miesfeld at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 19:20:50 UTC 2013

Our project uses DocBook source for our documentation.  Some time ago we
switched to Publican to produce the final PDF files.

I got things working with Publican 2.8.2 and have been stuck there because,
although there were some problems, I could at least produce the final PDF
file.

Today I made the effort to upgrade to Publican 3.1.5 so that hopefully I
can move on to 3.2.0 when an install rpm is available.

I installed wkhtmltopdf from a link Jeff provided last month:

http://jfearn.fedorapeople.**org/wkhtmltopdf/<http://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/wkhtmltopdf/>

where he also said: All of these changes are compatible with Publican 3.1.5

The two main problems I have, Jeff suggested that wkhtmltopdf would fix.

Now with 3.1.5 I have 2 problems:

1.) While building I start getting these errors for every single page.  It
starts with page 511:

file:///usr/share/publican/book_templates/header.html?page=511

Error: Failed loading page
file:///usr/share/publican/book_templates/header.html?page=1726&section=Revision
History&title=ooRexx Documentation 4.2.3 ooDialog Reference
4.2.3&subsection=X&frompage=1&subsubsection=A.9.10.
setCursorPos&topage=1723&doctitle=ooRexx Documentation 4.2.3 ooDialog
Reference 4.2.3&webpage=tmp/en-US/html-pdf/index.html&time=10:09
AM&date=8/8/13 (sometimes it will work just to ignore this error with
--load-error-handling ignore)

I get one error for both header.html and footer.html.  The files do exist
at the location and it would seem that the first 500 pages things work

What does the error message mean?

2.) Then things just abend:

Error: Failed loading page
file:///usr/share/publican/book_templates/footer.html?page=1726&section=Revision
History&title=ooRexx Documentation 4.2.3 ooDialog Reference
4.2.3&subsection=X&frompage=1&subsubsection=A.9.10.
setCursorPos&topage=1723&doctitle=ooRexx Documentation 4.2.3 ooDialog
Reference 4.2.3&webpage=tmp/en-US/html-pdf/index.html&time=10:09
AM&date=8/8/13 (sometimes it will work just to ignore this error with
--load-error-handling ignore)
QPaintDevice: Cannot destroy paint device that is being painted

wkhtmltopdf died, PDF generation failed. Check log for details.
 at /usr/bin/publican line 921

What log, where?

This book is, admittedly, a little large.  Can wkhtmltopdf just not handle
a large book?

Any ideas or help?

Thanks

--