[publican-list] PDF title page output and entity use in Publican 3.1.5

James Pooton jpooton at videonextfederal.com
Thu May 16 17:43:02 UTC 2013

Sorry, looks like I was on digest mode here...

> Where did you get wkhtmltopdf? The version that ships in Fedora for
example is linked against an unpatched QT and doesn't have the cover page
functionality.

> I will harass Rudi to get some FC18 packages built with the useful
versions.

We just started with a fresh FC18 virtual machine and yum installed
Publican from the testing repo, so it looks like that's the issue. (It
pulled in wkhtmltopdf-0.11.0-0.2.rc1.fc18.x86_64 from updates)  I saw you
had some patched FC15 packages posted on the wiki.  After getting
libtiff.so.3 in place, I was able to install your packages and PDF output
is different.  However, now there is a blank "title page" on the PDF
followed by the Preface and content.  So I assume there is some hiccup in
using the FC15 packages.

If there is a forthcoming patched FC18 version coming, we'll just hold
tight.  Otherwise feel free to point me in the direction of any information
on the patch, and we can try building.

> Are you specifying to the ent file in the Book_Info.xml file? If not you
could give that a try. Not sure we ever tested with entities in these tags.

For testing purposes we were just adding the entity to the default entity
file Publican created for the book.  (videoNEXT_Template.ent in our case)
which appears to get called in via:

<!ENTITY % BOOK_ENTITIES SYSTEM "videoNEXT_Template.ent">
%BOOK_ENTITIES;
]>

In videoNEXT_Template.ent we just added:

<!ENTITY PRODUCTVER "3.7">

and tried using it in Book_Info.xml via:

<productnumber>&PRODUCTVER;</productnumber>

We also tried directly setting the entity in Book_Info.xml (not that that
would help us in the end), but the result was the same.

> You can set 'version' in publican.cfg and it won't use the Info file for
this.

We actually tried that route as well.  For some reason it picked up
'version' from publican.cfg and used it in creating the publish path,
however the value in Book_Info.xml was still used on the HTML title page.

Thanks for your help!
--
James Pooton
videoNEXT Federal Systems, Inc.