[Pulp-dev] Replace pulp_template repo with cookiecutter template

Daniel Alley dalley at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 18:12:20 UTC 2018

Cookiecutter looks really nice and I'm not opposed to switching, but I
don't expect we would save much maintenance work in doing so. We aren't
doing / haven't needed to do too much maintenance on boostrap.py that I'm
aware of, it seems like it's relatively complete and tested.  Most of the
maintenance work is on the template itself.

Also in my brief lookthrough of the docs and some of the examples, I didn't
see anything about doing case substitutions like we're doing (e.g. creating
names RpmContent, RPM_CONTENT_PATH, pulp_rpm.app... from just "rpm").  Our
template is much bigger than any of the examples I looked at and it kind of
feels like it's focused towards a totally separate use case (filling out
many different small variables instead of the same one in many different
contexts).

I don't know, I feel like this is an "if it isn't broke" situation.