backup software for Informix

Kenneth Goodwin kgoodwin at datamarktech.com
Wed Mar 9 22:42:26 UTC 2005

You just have to set the backup device name to be a file
pathname and set the maximum
size per tape as large as possible.
Your backup script runs ontape or onbar and dumps to the
file and then it needs to copy off the
disk file to somewhere else and zero out the backup device
file.
Usually the backup device name is a symbolic link to the
real disk filename

heres a sample from our ONCONFIG file setting for the
logical logfile dump which backs up the
logical logs to a disk file and then the script then copies
off and compresses the file, and resets the target
back to 0 for the next run.

LTAPEDEV        /apps/informix/ontape/ontape_logfile
                               # Log tape device path
(LOCAL)
LTAPEBLK        64              # Log tape block size
(Kbytes)

LTAPESIZE       500000          # Max amount of data to put
on log tape (Kbytes)  (500MB)

The same can be done for TAPEDEV as well. it is the backup
script you use to control
the whole process that is important. You also need enough
free disk space to store at least one and maybe upwards of
two
copies of the maximum size of your database dump. One for
the backup copy and one for the compressed version.
The backup copy will be removed when compress/gzip has
completed. You then need to move the compressed backup to
its final destination, tape - dvd - another server

Steven Jones
>  Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 2:44 PM
>  To: Gentian Hila; General Red Hat Linux discussion list
>  Subject: RE: backup software for Informix
>

>  Legato is good (but you need the disk staging add-on),
but
>  it costs, my
>  favourite though is Tivoli that backs up to disk by
default, then
>  archives to tape, it costs as well, I have not used the
>  server on Linux
>  but Im told its good.
>
>  There is no real OSS backup software I am aware of. Try
>  www.freshmeat.net but I don't think you are going to be
in
>  luck. If you
>  could get Informix to dump itself as a file to a
harddrive, (which I
>  thought it could?) then Amanda is a good network backup
>  tool, though nfs
>  mounts and tar rock for me.
>
>  Also there is a hot and cold option, ie will the backup
be done while
>  the DB is on line (hot), or do you offline (cold) the db
while the
>  backup is done. Hot backup costs more.....
>
>  Regards
>
>  Thing

that runs on