[redhat-lspp] Getting rid of multilevel objects

Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Wed Jul 5 21:32:15 UTC 2006

--- Joe Nall <joe at nall.com> wrote:

> On the HP CMW, /dev/null has a WILDCARD label
>
> cmw:joe> lslevel /dev/null
> /dev/null   WILDCARD
>
> WILDCARD is really the absence of a label (literally
> a null pointer
> in the API). This is equivalent to a
> SystemLow-SystemHigh range for
> most applications.

Trusted Irix uses a label type to identify
wildcard (it's actually two types,
MSENEQUAL/MINTEQUAL) but it's conceptually
the same.

> Directories are not ranged, but have to satisfy the
> constraint that
> the directory contents must dominate the directory.

I assume this is done at creation. And this is
the same constraint on Trix and TSOL.

> To create a file
> in a directory with a lower classification, the
> creating process must
> have the allowmacwrite privilege.

How do these systems handle creating TopSecret
entries in Secret directories?

> Directory relabels are only
> possible if the directory is empty.

Yup.

> I could not find the mkupdir syscall in the online
> Trusted Solaris documentation.

I'm sure I got the name wrong. mksecdir, perhaps?
I last worked on it in 1989, so  I can claim
senility if necessary.

Casey Schaufler
casey at schaufler-ca.com