[redhat-lspp] Getting rid of multilevel objects

Knoke, Jim (US SSA) jim.knoke at baesystems.com
Thu Jul 6 12:10:35 UTC 2006

Can anyone explain why MLS systems tend to require objects to dominate
their containing directory? Is it just to simplify covert channel
analysis? Is it just a usability issue in that a user may get confused
if s/he can set a working directory, but then potentially not be able to
read ".."?

Are regrades of non-empty directories typically disallowed just because
of the complexity of locking all the contained objects during the
regrade operation?

On the one hand I understand how multi-level objects can complicate
analysis, but if we are to allow directories to contain upgraded objects
and devices to have ranges, it sort of sounds more consistent to allow a
range on any kind of object.